Wilco Commissioners are fond of claiming they can’t act against Chody or Deaton.
Here are ways we came up with that they can act. Each of these options is supported by Texas law.
- Using their budgetary power:
- Slash the Sheriff’s Office budget, even if it is only for the exact amount of Deaton’s salary.
- Fund positions within the District Attorney’s office tasked with ensuring the professionalism of law enforcement in Williamson County.
- Order a full financial audit of the Sheriff’s Department.
- Cut Chody’s salary to the amount on January 1, 1972.
- Using the power of their voice:
Pass a resolution urging Chody to fire Deaton.
- Pass a resolution urging Chody to fire Wright.
- Pass a resolution urging Chody to resign.
- Pass a resolution urging the County Attorney to investigate crimes committed by Chody and Deaton.
- Pass a resolution urging the District Attorney to investigate crimes committed by Chody and Deaton.
- Pass a resolution urging the Texas Rangers to come into Williamson County to restore order.
- As individuals, they can speak against corruption in WCSO.
- We appreciate the words spoken by Valerie Covey regarding Chody using county funds on his UTV.
- Using their power over surety bonds:
- Revoke approval of Chody’s surety bond.
- Refuse to approve Chody’s new surety bond.
- A district judge would then be forced to remove Chody from office.
- Using the power of the State District Courts:
- Hire an attorney for the Commissioners Court.
- File a lawsuit to have Chody removed from office
- Based upon incompetency ( gross carelessness and unfitness ) and official misconduct ( mistreatment and sexual harassment )
- Using their powers of court:
- Call a special term of the court to deal with this ridiculous situation.
- Find Chody in contempt of Commissioners Court.
- Require Chody and Deaton to appear before the Commissioners Court and give testimony under oath.
- Using their power of the GOP:
- Covey, Long, Boles, and Gravell are members of the GOP.
- Chody is a member of the GOP.
- If 4 or 5 of the Wilco Commissioners Court publicly tells Wilco GOP that Chody needs to go, it would carry real weight.
- They could sponsor vote to excommunicate Chody from the party.